CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Our Garden

It's so rewarding to be able to plant, grow and harvest your own veggies. Today Austin, Ariel and I did the planting - what I call the hard part. This year we rented a garden plot near Eagle Creek Park. It's a 25x25 plot that we are sharing with our neighbor friend Jenny. So far we have met some really nice people. One man named Bob offered to help us by tilling peat moss down into our soil. It was such a huge help! I can't imagine trying to how and rake all of that in by hand like we were going to have to do.
We have 5 rows: lettuce, carrots, and two of green beans with 2 plants each of green and red peppers and 4 hills: 2 of zucchini, pumpkin (at Austin's request) and butternut squash. I thought that I would try the butternut squash since that is something that I used to buy and puree and freeze when the kids were first eating solids. I thought that I could harvest it in the fall and then cook them up and freeze them for our new baby.
I am also growing 2 tomato plants, oregano, catnip, basil, lavender, parsley and corn (for fall decorative purposes only) at home.
After digging around in the plot I am very sure that we will just rent our own next fall. It's amazing how 25x25 sounds huge and then when you get into it, it's not as big as you think. Plus next year I will have so much more energy and less stomach, since I won't be pregnant, to do more.

No comments: